Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Fishing in the Fog

Dublin has been enjoying a stretch of wonderful weather this week. I took advantage of favorable high tide times (I have finally learned to check!) and the beautiful weather to try my luck near Poolbeg Lighthouse at the junction of the River Liffey and Dublin Bay.

At our apartment in south Dublin, the skies were blue and the sun was shining. Less than a mile away at Sandymount Strand, the midday sun was no match for the thick fog rolling in from the bay.

Fog on Sandymount Strand Dublin, Ireland
Fog on Sandymount

The fog was so thick at ground level, it looked like an overcast sky, but only right on the coastline. Not being from a coastal city, I was unfamiliar with this phenomenon. The local residents seemed to be taking it in stride, however, because the beaches were busy.

When I got to the base of the Poolbeg Lighthouse pier, the fog was off and on. Sometimes the wind would blow thick billows over me and limit my vision to a few feet, and other times the mist seemed only to be thick out in the bay.

For safety, all the ships coming and going in Dublin harbor were blowing foghorns, which I don't believe I've ever actually heard before.

Fishing Spot at Poolbeg Lighthouse Dublin, Ireland
Fishing Spot

The camera didn't always capture the fog like the naked eye, but look at the following photos for an idea. In these photos, the twin smokestacks are seen clearly in one photo and totally obscured in the next.

Smokestacks of Poolbeg Power station Dublin. Ireland
Smokestacks Seen

Smokestacks Unseen Poolbeg Power Station Dublin, Ireland
Smokestacks Unseen

In this photo, the ferry is visible, but the bright red Poolbeg Lighthouse should be near the center of the frame. It was only a few hundred yards away from me as I took this photo.

Poolbeg Lighthouse is obscured by fog in Dublin, Ireland
No Lighthouse

The pier, just like the beaches, got busier and busier as the afternoon wore on and the tide rose to its crest. Sunbathers, teens sneaking out to drink, fishers, walkers, brave cyclists, and families were all out in force on the pier.

If you haven't already guessed by the lack of fish photos, I was skunked here. One friendly stranger let me know that they were catching mackerel all the way out at the lighthouse, but I don't have the tackle to deal with the excessive distances and depths needed to fish that far out.

Another kindly fisher gave me some general tips for fishing this stretch of water. I'll be back again another day, armed and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we'd love to hear what you think! Comments are word verified to prevent SPAM.